[alfa] Re: starter motor solenoid

At 05:21 PM 4/28/04 +0000, you wrote:

I've heard of starter motor solenoids going bad and never engaging - It
happened to me and that's why I have a relay between the ignition switch and
mine.

But is a solenoid sticking in the engaged position common? Mine (newly rebuilt)
started doing it tonight. I disconnected the HT from the coil, hit the switch
and the thing just kept on going until I got the battery cable disconnected.
When the engine starts it seems to stay engaged then finally disengage itself
after a few revolutions.
Is this the result of burned solenoid contacts that are sticking? A timely question for me. I have two 1.1 starters with problems that might be related to the solenoid.

First problem: starter clicks but does not engage. I use a stick that I use like a pool cue to tap the solenoid, which usually frees the starter to turn. This problem is most prevalent on a hot engine. First start of the day usually has no problems, but a hot engine is most likely to produce the condition. I've serviced the starter commutator and bushes, and believe the contacts in the solenoid are just burned and corroded. Can these contacts be serviced? Other diagnosis?

Second problem: starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. If I keep bumping the starter, it eventually will begin to catch and engage the flywheel. Seems like bumping the starter (up to 2-3 dozen times!) will eventually "warm up" the starter/solenoid so they work. This condition is most prevalent on cold engine starts/ cold ambient temps and goes away or much less severe on a warm engine. Advice as to solenoid or bendix drive problem?

Thanks, //KCT, Powell, TN