Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Lane <srlane@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] starter motor solenoid

I've heard of starter motor solenoids going bad and never engaging - It
happened to me and that's why I have a relay between the ignition switch and
mine.

But is a solenoid sticking in the engaged position common? Mine (newly
rebuilt)
started doing it tonight. I disconnected the HT from the coil, hit the switch
and the thing just kept on going until I got the battery cable disconnected.
When the engine starts it seems to stay engaged then finally disengage itself
after a fe revolutions.

it's just busted..right?

TIA for any info.

- -Richard Lane