[alfa] More on the Canguro

Greetings from Sunny Portland, Ore!

Responding to Andrew Watry's post today regarding the status of the Alfa Canguro...

Gary Schmidt, former owner of the Canguro, passed away last summer after a lengthy struggle with cancer.  He was a member of the AROO (Oregon) chapter of AROC-USA, and lived on the central Oregon coast.

Gary had purchased the remains of the Canguro, as it lay outside the Bertone shops, and had them shipped from Italy to a workshop in Germany, as I recall.  It was there where the car had been undergoing a full restoration to original specification (at least to what was available from remaining records).

The car was missing, among other things, the hood (bonnet) assembly.  The missing pieces were being hand-made by a craftsman who was familiar with the original, as the story was told to me.

Over the years the capital cost continued to accrue.  While the car would be worth a great deal of money once finished, it was becoming a money pit for Gary and his wife.  They decided to sell the nearly finished car.  It was purchased by a Japanese collector, I was told, several years ago.

As to the car's current location, I am not sure.  It may have been shipped to Japan for completion.  I do know that Bob Bartell of Black Bart's Emporium has something up his sleeve regarding this car -- perhaps a history, or so I hope --  that he will be unveiling soon.

Joe Cantrell and Bill Gillham, both active members of AROO, may know more about this intriguing story...

Doug Z.
Portland, Ore. USA
Monti
Senior Zed