Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:33:35 -0400
From: Kevin Trent <trentkc@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Re: starter motor solenoid

At 05:21 PM 4/28/04 +0000, you wrote:

First problem: starter clicks but does not engage. I use a stick that I use
like a pool cue to tap the solenoid, which usually frees the starter to
turn.  This problem is most prevalent on a hot engine.  First start of the
day usually has no problems, but a hot engine is most likely to produce the
condition.  I've serviced the starter commutator and bushes, and believe
the contacts in the solenoid are just burned and corroded.  Can these
contacts be serviced?  Other diagnosis?

Second problem: starter spins but does not engage the flywheel.  If I keep
bumping the starter, it eventually will begin to catch and engage the
flywheel.  Seems like bumping the starter (up to 2-3 dozen times!) will
eventually "warm up" the starter/solenoid so they work.  This condition is
most prevalent on cold engine starts/ cold ambient temps and goes away or
much less severe on a warm engine.  Advice as to solenoid or bendix drive
problem?

Thanks, //KCT, Powell, TN