[alfa] CA Bill # AB2683

If I understand it correctly, even the current very strict CA smog
testing takes into consideration the age of the car. However, readings
are taken at different rpm's than originally (please, anyone who knows
fer sure, please jump in) which, if this is correct, makes it difficult
for an absolute mint / original / perfectly maintained car, manufactured
by a (errrr) manufacturer who barely squeaked by way back then, to pass.
I'm sure you all got that okay.

As Brian Shorey mentioned, CA's air quality is Significantly better. We
were the joke of the civilized world for many years. Bob Hope
practically made a living off smog jokes (when not entertaining the
troops with nubile females). Truth be told, it is today's manufacturers
who have their feet to the fire to improve the air quality. For someone
who leans towards the left, I have to say, "They are all now doing a
damn fine job and hats off."

Unfortunately, those same manufacturers all drug their feet just as hard
and as long as possible to meet the early ever stricter standards. Which
means all of us left leaning crazies who own and drive cars (should one
be a rabid right winger and love older Alfas, you're now one of us
whether you like it or not)  which are over 25 / 30 years old, have to
swim or sink - politically speaking.

An outsider, Peter Webb, feels he has the ultimate solution: "So I think
the answer here isn't to make a practical or pragmatic argument. It's
bombarding them with technical data and experts to support your
argument."

Since I don't like Peter, I'm going to suggest a much better alternative
solution to both his and my original one: It's a variation on - "Show me
the money". Okay, Mr. / Ms. Assembly Member should you feel the need to
vote yea for CA Bill # AB2683, please tell me why. I would like to know,
scientifically and specifically, how much of a negative environmental
impact 30 year old cars have on your / our District along with the rest
of California. And please, Sir / Madam Assembly Member, don't try to
b.s. me.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA