[alfa] CA Bill # AB2683

I'm certainly not trying to set myself up as an expert on this bill (I
merely skimmed it and seemed to contradict itself in places), but only
posted what I sent to possibly  inspire others to write their Assembly
Member.

While the low mileage appears to be a good argument, how can anyone
prove it? The speedos / odometers / cables are not sealed but who
actually keeps track of miles driven anyway, except possibly the owner?

The original deal was that in '99 74's would be exempt. In 2000 75's,
etc. Then it was changed to include a five year moratorium meaning it
would take until '05 for a '75 to be exempted and the rolling exemption
would then continue on (76's in 2006), etc.

So essentially it is a 30 year rolling  moratorium. I purposely used the
25 figure so that one can say, "Okay, but don't push us past the 30 year
date."

While I'm sure it's not, but should this rolling exemption be a hot
topic in the Assembly / Senate then a sub committee should be formed and
do some research. First, how many 30 year old and older cars are
registered in CA, then how many by district. Find at least two
credentialed experts in the field with opposing views and bring them
before a committee. If it turns out to be pretty cut and dried one way
or the other, then that's how the law should read. If not, then bring in
staunch environmental supporters along with representatives opposing the
ban on doing away with the 30 yearrolling moratorium. Still not settled,
then have the DMV give more data (if they haven't all ready) and find
out who and where the gross polluters are and find a way to go after
them. (I'm guessing it is the beater 80's cars). And yes, I'm aware of
the sniffers and cameras on some of the freeway on and off ramps.

Essentially, logically resolve the issue once and for all. A friend used
the expression, "Fish or cut bait." I have another which I prefer but
don't want to offend anyone (like it'd be the first time?).

Biba
Irwindale (a damp 57th District), CA USA
'75 Alfetta GT [waiting with bated breath (exhaust?) for hopefully a
positive outcome to this nonsense]