Re: [alfa] aftermarket throttle bodies

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Webb" <webb.p@domain.elided>
To: "Brett Calvert" <bcalv@domain.elided>; <alfa-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 1:32 AM
Subject: RE: [alfa] aftermarket throttle bodies

> Welcome to the AD.  Good to see other MegaSquirters here.   I've been
> talking about the GSXR conversion a bit.  Maybe you can point the people
> your pictures and a short description of how you fit them to the 2L.
>
> The only alternative has been the TWM Induction throttles @ $1000US for
the
> package.
>
> -Peter

Thanx for the welcome Peter.
There are a myriad of wasy to mount the GSXR TBs.
All are not simple bolt on options and require a certain level of
engineering skill to pull off.
MY method was just one. If you go to the link I provided you'll see some
pics and descriptions of how I went about it. The reason I used bakelite
mounting blocks was due to space limitations. The car is NOT an alfa.
The best way would be to use the GSXRs rubber mounts in lieu of the alfa
mounts. Still, this would require some machine work and welding
You can use a gutted out set of carbs as per Benica. I rang them to discuss
their conversion and IMO it was way too expensive and for commercial reasons
they weren't giving too much away about what they do. I did notice tho that
they mount the injectors in bosses welded to the under side of the stock
manifold.
OK if you want to keep the car looking stock but a bitch to work on.
A better way would be to replace the carb mounts with short spool pieces
that have injector bosses welded to them.
Even better, if you can get hold of a set of SPICA butterflies (not
available here in Oz) and modify them to accept electronic injectors.

The megasquirt is probably the cheapest and easiest ECU to use on these
engines. All up I spent around $300 AUS including sensors. Wiring is pretty
straight forward and there is no need for fancy crank sensors.
Again you need a certain amount of technical nous to begin with but not too
much if you apply the KISS principle.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Knowledge is spelt with an O coz it'd meant to go round.

Brett.