[alfa] Strange noise...What can it be?

'89 Spider.
Strange noise from the engine bay. Thought it might be the bearings in the alternator going out. Not so. (Checked the water pump at the same time. That's not it either.)

Listening more carefully, it is not so high pitched as dead bearings. Also, it seems to be coming from the intake side. I began to think of a volvo i had that once made a funky noise like this. It was a blown head gasket with air sucking through. However, I replaced the head gasket less than a year ago, so I can't face co-workers and fellow students if that is the problem. Certainly cannot face wife.

Suggestions on where to look will be greated with glee.

zach
Arlington, TX