[alfa] Fuel flow/pressure problems

Right off, I will say that I've never owned a SPICA equipped Alfa, so I
certainly cannot offer specific advice in that area. However, in reading over
recent posts, one of the most elusive fuel system problems I've ever
encountered came to mind.  Maybe it will help someone, maybe not, but that's
what the AD's for.

I worked on a '67 MGB several times due to its propensity to leave the owner
stranded after starting and running perfectly well for a period of time.  I
went through the entire fuel system point to point, testing and even replacing
all hose sections. Finally, I probed the steel tubing itself and found long
strings of decayed stringy rubber partially gumming up flow to the carbs.  I
still assume it was rubber, unless something foreign had been dumped into the
tank at some time.  Likely someone used vacuum hose or some other cheap (read
incompatible) substitute for fuel line connections.

I replaced the steel tubing sections and the "B" ran like new, at all speeds.
Looking at the age of some of these cars, nothing would surprise me!

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA