[alfa] Heater Headaches

Hello all:

One of the final tasks remaining on the '87 QV I
bought back in November has been to flush and refill
the cooling system. Thought it would also be a fine
opportunity to try and get some warmth out of the
heater. I knew the fan motor was broken when I bought
the car but learned later that the work involved in
R&R was probably more than I cared to get involved
with. Actually, replacing the thermostat resulted in
reasonably good heating from the system once underway
since the operating temperature went from 120 to 175.
Lately, the heater has been blowing cool air, however,
and during the flush and fill, here's what I found:

The factory manual recommends that in the event of a
suspected clog in the heater circuit, the return hose
should be pulled from its attachment to the water pump
and a "source of water" be used to back flush the
core. Of course the supply hose should also be
disconnected and set up to discharge somewhere besides
down the front of your shirt. Anyway, applying 65# of
city water pressure to the core via the return line
resulted in a surging effect at the supply side, with
very little water coming through. BTW, the control
inside was set at HOT. Moving the hose to the supply
side resulted in substantial water flow but I noticed
that after I pulled the hose the residual water did
not drain down. In fact, I could not blow it out
either, and not until I rigged up a bicycle tire pump
could I remove the water. Air pressure on the return
side had minimal effect.

I'm passing all this along in the unlikely event that
someone is going to suggest something simple like Alka
Seltzer, but hope springs eternal. Thoughts? Adapt my
Gerbings heated motorcycle vest to a source of power?

Thanks
Steve Waclo
'87 Spider Quadrifoglio
Carson City, NV