[alfa] 164 rad fan switch

First of all thanks to those who replied about my rear hub quest. I am about to tackle the replacement today.
Another puzzle I have with the car is the temperature control. When I got the car, the fans would not go on, and the temp gauge would creep dangerously high. I bypassed the radiator fan switch to have the fan run all the time at low speed, and now the car runs rather cold all the time, anywhere between the 110-140F according to the gauge.
Am I correct to assume that the thermostat is stuck open and needs to be replaced (in addition to a new rad fan switch being faulty)? I got a new rad fan switch from IAP, and am about to replace it today. However, in the Centerline catalog I noticed a "new improved" version of the radiator switch, that allows a manual adjustment of the switch cut-in temp setting. Something about stock switches being set to cut in at too high a temperature.
So, my other question to the experienced 164 owners, is what is the temperature at which the radiator fan switch turns on the fans at low and high speeds? Is a "mod" required to lower those settings? What is the correct thermostat for this car? 180, 190, 200?? Are replacements available through generic part stores, or a special order required? Last I looked at those thermostats they appeared to be generic units.
Thanks a bunch, and happy motoring!

Val
'91S
Seattle