[alfa] Re: Timing (was Exhaust temperature)

Ok.. according to my sticker in the car the 77 is supposed to have the M mark at 33deg, not 30, haven't actually measured it. First time I timed it for max advance, my idle got a bit fast.. but it dosen't seem to mind.. I also had it a bit rich at the time, was (am still) dialing in the Spica.. It does seem to idle more relaxed and non sportscar like with it on the idle timing but it's not bad advanced.

The thing is, it gets to max advance by 3-3.5K.. seemed like if you are speccing something at 4800-5000, you'ld kinda just get there by then, rather than far before? But I know this is more typical than not.. but maybe I have wear and strectching springs too.. Also, I'd expect that if it had a wider range, it could be on the other side of TDC like the idle spec, and still go to max advance, and everyone would be happy. Any reason not to have a wider advance curve?

At any rate.. I'd be interested in hearing what makes a particular curve "work" with a particicular setup.. so if I go hunting for something specific, or get the current thing recurved... I'd know what I was talking about..

All the nitpicking aside.. she's very fun, and we've been having a great time..

Jon and Marcia
77 Spider
Irvine, CA

TJCallahan@domain.elided wrote:

> and if I set it for the max, (and I hear a 2L is happier at 34-36) my idle moves to
> probably 5-6 BTDC!! So I don't know if it's even working right.. dosen't sound like
> it!

Sounds like it's working pretty close to right to me. I can't remember the numbers right off hand, other than the 34-36 one, but what you describe sounds pretty good. Yes, the 2.0L of our vintage seems to like the 35 range.

How does it run when you set it for max? How does the idle work at 5-6 BTDC?

I replaced the dual point dizzy on my 77 Alfetta GT with a MarelliPlex (and it works just fine, thank you) and adjusted it for proper timing at 5k rpm. When I did that, idle timing went way off, but the engine purrs at both idle and 7k rpm. Go figure.

BTW, I had a local speed shop re-curve the MarelliPlex to match the A16 cam specs I gave him. The combo is nice and not having to replace/adjust/clean points is a BIG bonus. :-)

Glad your car is running and that you're having so much fun with it!

Tom
Seattle
6310123
7711615