From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Darrel McGregor
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:58 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] hissing brake booster

I've got an 84 Spider that now has a hissing noise in the passenger
compartment when you step on the brakes. (Includes drop in idle speed and
loss of braking power.)

The strange thing is that it holds a vacuum for at least a few minutes (I
haven't checked any longer than that) after the engine is shut-off. (You can
hear it hiss when you step on the brake pedal.)

My feel is that the brake booster is bad, but I'm wondering if there is
another failure that can cause the symptom of no leak until you step on the
brake. Does anyone have any experience with this? The service manual lists a
couple of seals that might be the problem, but it doesn't say where they are
or how to check them. Are these seals available or do you still have to
replace the entire booster?

Thanks for the help,

Darrel