Re: [alfa] Front wheel bearings

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Pike" <jhpike@domain.elided>
To: "Paul Bayly" <thebaylys@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, March 28, 2004 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: [alfa] Front wheel bearings

Snip>
> So, can you grab the tire with both hands and feel play with the wheel
> jacked up off the ground?

YES.

 >That's the main thing that worried me..  got
> a bit of that kind of play in the rear's too..  What's a good indicator of
"too much" with fronts and rears??

EXPERIENCE ?  If the rears aren't noisy in use (groan) and they are both
about the same, I'd use this a guide for acceptable play in the fronts.
Rocking the wheel top-and-bottom with your eyes closed gives a more accurate
'feel' than front/rear with your eyes open :-0.

BTW Dean is correct about using a new washer in lieu of sanding the nut, but
sometimes you just don't have a stash of wheel bearing washers lying around
to mix-n-match !

Beatle
'67 Duetto 1750 hybrid
Katherine NT