Re: [alfa] Front wheel bearings

Jon,

Some play is a good thing on a cold wheel bearing.  If there is no play
after adjustment they will fail early.  Go on, ask me how I know.

My Alfetta book says that a feeler gauge should be a neat fit between the
washer and nut after adjustment (4 thou IIRC). At the correct measurement
the bearing feels more on the loose side than I would have thought prudent,
but after the wheel bearings failed on my '79 GTV after two years, a new set
adjusted as-per the book saw them still in the car when I sold it 12 years
and 175,000km later.  This car was driven with gusto the whole time I owned
it and was driven in both twisty alpine regions and hot desert roads with no
speed limits.

If you find that the bearing is too loose on one castellation but too tight
on the next, try alternating the nuts and washers from either side until you
find a combo which works.  If that still doesn't do it, you could lap the
back of the nut on some wet-n-dry on a flat surface.

Beatle
'67 Duetto 1750 hybrid
Katherine NT
Oz