[alfa] Front wheel bearings

Hello all..

Another quick question. After doing all the bushings in the front end during the rebuilding time that my wife colorfully described as "she was in the doctor's office with all four legs up in stirrups".. and repacking but not replacing the front bearings.. I now notice some play after a couple of months driving. I can (with the car off the ground) rock the wheel slightly from the top and bottom, as well as side to side.. Side to side could be steering gear play, but top and bottom.. well I figure it must being the wheel bearings.

I tried retensioning them, thinking they weren't fully settled in, slight slack on the right but not enough to move another castle nut slot without tension on the perforated washer.. the left is just about right. I torqued them up to 20 ft-lbs, then loosened them per book procedure.

So, anything I might be missing? A bigger hammer while tightening? Or is play even with proper tensioning a normal failure mode for these guys?

Jon
77 Spider
Irvine, CA