Stag/Stag Digest Archive

re:not starting problem

Hi Mike and everybody else,

I would like to give you my opinion of the above subject.
I am quite surprised nobody mentions a rather obvious cause for the starting
problem with a hot engine. I once wondered why my garage would smell like
boiling petrol for hours after I parked my car. I then felt the carbs and
they were really hot and thus the petrol was actually boiling inside the
float chambers. The thing happening with a shut off hot engine is that all
circulation of air under the bonnet is stopped (while idling the fan will
take care of sufficient air circulation) by which it becomes very hot under
the bonnet. Especially the carbs which are situated in the vee, the hottest
spot of the engine, will get very hot causing the petrol to boil. Obviously
this will only happen after stopping the engine for more then about 10-15
min. With the petrol boiling the engine won't start easily because the
mixture is far too rich. By opening the throttle completely and continuously
starting for 10-20 sec you will flush the fumes by which it mostly will be
possible to get the engine started. Or else you will have to wait until it
is cooled down.
I fitted a switch under the dashboard to switch off the fuel pump about one
kilometer from home by which my carbs will be empty on arrival which cures
the smelly (explosion hazardous) garage.

regards Paul