Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Not Starting Problem

Nick McCormack wrote:

> I wonder if anyone would be able to help me with a problem which
> occurred yesterday.
>
> I had quite happily driven approx. 60 miles when I needed to fill up
> with petrol as I was virtually on empty. Upon attempting to start all
> the engine would do was turn over but not gun. Couldn't hear the click
> click of the petrol pump so knocked it gently with a hammer. No joy.
> Battery flattening, so called the RAC. 20 minutes later tried the beast
> again and as if my magic it started, just as the RAC man came round the
> corner! Felt a right idiot!
>
> Drove approx. 30 miles to home & abandoned the car outside whilst I
> unloaded family & baggage. Attempted to start car again to drive into
> garage & wouldn't start again, tried to jump start but nothing nut all
> was OK two hours later.
>
> Is my fuel pump on the way out or is it something else? Any ideas?
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Many thanks

Nick,

Some ideas :-

Fuel evaporation in the pipes after stopping hot engine - common problem
made worse if you have a weak fuel pump.

Petrol tank vent blocked - already mentioned.

Carb float valve sticking closed or incorrect float level.

Ignition coil breaking down when hot - can happen but sounds less likely
in your case.

Regards,

Dave.
--