Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: Not Starting Problem

Nick,
I had an experience exactly the same and just as the Auto Club guy arrived
it fired up. In fact it happened to me twice - once I was towed off a
motorway and when the tow truck dropped me of the car started no problem.

What I eventually found was that if  I opened the fuel filler a large vacuum
was relieved and then the car would start. The vacuum in the tank was
obviously causing stravation of fuel at the carbies.

I never really fully found that problem and that Stag has now been replaced.
The quick fix was to remove the tank filler rubber seal. Beware this can let
rainwater in the tank.

I would only be guessing but the previous owner may have
"bodgied"(Australian for poorly modified) the tank ventilation through the
charcoal recirc. cannisterm or somehow blocked some tubes or got them ixed
up. I could only suggest checking the plumbing for correctness and blockage.
Also the fuel pump can be touchy and intermittently decide not to pump, very
intermittently.

For this, I guess an overhaul to the pump is in order. Someone may know a
better solution or answer to this problem.

Also don't forget the inertia cut-out switch,  loacted left hand side of the
firewal, engine sidel. This can get corroded contacts and cut the 12volts to
the pump, intermittently and unexpectedly. It is designed to cut supply
voltage to the pump in the event of a collision.

Joe Santamaria
* Lucent Technologies Australia Pty Ltd
Professional Services
*Tel:   +61 2 93529287