Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Windscreen is in at last

Fellow Stag nuts,
Thought I should share some information about my rebuild, particularly
regarding windscreen installation...

The rebuilding of my Stag has now started - after 3 years dismantling,
body prep and many delays due to house moves, etc.  The first job I
tackled (with help from my father) was putting the windscreen back in. I
knew this wasn't going to be a fun job when the shop that sold me the
new rubber moulding said that this job is a nightmare and professional
windscreen installers will run a mile to avoid this car. However, I have
seen emails on this list saying that it isn't a big deal, so I wasn't
put off.
Using all the tips I have accumulated, I built-up the windscreen and
trim off the car (it would be impossible to install the trim while on
the car). Even with this, it took over 2 days of sweat and swearing to
install the trim. What an awful job. The person who came up with that
lousy design wouldn't like to have heard some of things we were saying
about him. The only thing that gave me inspiration to struggle on with
it and not to offer the car to the first passerby was my friend Russ
Brown (real nice Mimosa Stag in Frederick MD) who said that this is the
worst job in the restoration and after this it is all easy.  We'll see.

One trick  to installing the trim which I eventually learned is
something that I have not seen in any of the other emails - while using
a tool similar to that shown in the repair manual and a lubricant (water
with dish-washing liquid), install the inside edge of the trim first
(with the tool), and then worry about the back edge afterwards. This is
reverse to the way it is supposed to work, but it was the only way I
could do it. Work a little distance (few inches) at a time, install the
trim on the inside edge with the tool, push the back edge in with a
flat  tool (be careful not to damage the rubber), and continue along in
that fashion.

The easy part was installation in the body. Using the rope technique as
described in the manual, it was installed in 10 minutes.

Must say the car looks great even with only the windsceen installed. And
now that the worst job is over I can't wait to get the rest of the parts
bolted back together. Stay tuned....

Steve Smith
73 Stag
Gaitherburg MD