Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Oil sealing cam covers

Hi Ross

Ah, a common problem.

First of all, I assume you have new gaskets, as the McDonalds style cork
gaskets (chopped up fine and reconstituted with plenty of glue) compress a
lot when hot, so they never will re-seal.

Look carefully at the camshaft covers, you may find that due to previous
overtightening they have bowed outwards in the middle so they won't seal
properly.  Bend them back into shape if possible.  Check the special
mounting nuts, under the hexagon there should be a cupped washer and a
rubber seal, if these are not fitted oil will leak out due to inadequate
clamping.

While I don't normally believe in using gasket goo, it is important to use
this on the pressed steel covers to stop the cork gasket from slipping
inside the cover.

Also check the 'half-moon rubbers for shrinkage or other damamge and renew
as a matter of course.

Also check the transfer housings on the back of each cylinder head, they
both move oil and water, could be a leak here.

Also check lower down on the engine right side, you will see an oil pump,
oil filter and a domed alloy cover close to each other.  Oil always leaks
here.

Finally, I doubt you will ever get your camshaft covers to be completely
free of slight oil misting.

IMHO - MIke Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register