Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Oil sealing cam covers

Hi,

what's the collective view upon sealing the cam covers ? I have rebuild my
engine and am very pleased with the result. The only (apparent) problem is
that it leaks oil. After much crawling about underneath I have concluded
that it's leaking out of the back corner of (possibly both) the cam covers.

Upon removing the cover, it seems likely after examining the cork gasket,
that it wasn't seating tightly onto the head/cam cover and allowing oil to
get by. I had used water pump grease on both faces of the gasket, but no
luck. The cover seems to still be flat, but I suspect that, with no pressure
on that rear edge, it's bending where the cam cover screws are (and
seating), but not forming a tight seal at the rear edge.

I'm wary of using silicon sealant or instant gasket on anything, but it this
the only option ? The cork gasket is new, but it would appear that oil is
getting by on the lower rear corner, to quite a degree. Actually, looking at
the oil on the cork itself, it would seem likely that it wasn't sealing
tightly in a number of places. Perhaps I didn't screw it down tight enough.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Ross