Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Front bumper dimensions ?

Peter,

thanks for your reply. I've since rung the workshop who did my bodyshell
and, apparently, the bumper should be 61" across (at that point) vs. the 59"
I now have - both ends being bent inwards. I've also examined it under
bright lights and can see the micro-cracks in the chrome at the corners
(where it's now all splayed outwards). Conclusion: it was bent *after* it
was chromed. At the weekend, I made the 200 mile round trip to 'pay the
platers a visit', and they have agreed that it would not have left them in
the state it now is. Couriers are to blame. My views on them can't be
entered in this mailing list. (Actually, I *also* blame the platers for not
packing it well enough to protect it).

If anyone else has a bumper they can measure, I'd like to get as many checks
as I can, otherwise I'll ask the platers to go for 61". I intend to get the
bumper back *before* they plate it and check for fit, then return it for
plating, then go and get it myself. Result: 800 miles of driving. The
courier is going to be paying for this.

Re. the captive nuts. I now only have one. This is because, when I removed
the bumper from the car, the bolts through the wings came undone with ease,
but the bolt (into the captive nut) holding the little bracket, was tight
enough to not come out (I think it sheared). I asked the platers to remove
the remains of the bolt before plating and they removed the captive nut as
well (to be fair, they probably couldn't remove it either, but it would have
been nice if they had drilled out the bolt and left the captive nut there).
Fortunately, I can attach the bracket to the bumper while I can still get a
spanner inside the bumper (as I suppose, do you).

Ross