Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Intermittent Wipers

My Stag also has the intermittent wipers and they were doing exactly the
same thing on the "intermittent" setting - moving just a few inches and
stopping , then moving a few more inches and stopping.  I figured that
the delay unit (under the dash, behind the parcel tray) was no good.

Then an amazing thing happened.  The alternator needed replacing and with
the new alternator the charging voltage was higher and my intermittent
wipers started working the way they should - doing a full sweep then
delaying until the next full sweep.  This may just mean that the delay
unit is marginal on my car or ????  The delay unit is where I'd look
first, but it doesn't hurt to also clean contacts, etc. to ensure that
the delay unit is seeing full voltage.

As for the wipers not parking, the adjustment is on the top of the wiper
motor itself - you can loosen the screw and slide the limit switch to
adjust the wiper rest position.  As far as I know it is a trial and error
adjustment!

>Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:56:42 -0400
>From: Lawrence  G Miceli <lgmtr6@domain.elided>
>Subject: Stag -  wiper motor operation
>
>I am trying to find out why the windscreen wipers on my 73 MK2 Stag stop
>do not return to the down position when I turn the switch to the off
>position. They just stop where ever they happen to be on the windshield.
>I am told there is a limiting switch that needs to be adjusted. Does
>anyone know what the procedure is to test this switch and what I should
>be looking for to fix this problem.
>
> Also, the car actually has intermittent wipers (no Lucas jokes please).
>You pull the switch forward and it starts an intermittent wipe cycle.
>But, maybe due to the same problem, the arms come half way up, stop for
>2-3 seconds, then travel 1/4 way down, stop 2-3 seconds, before finishing
>the complete cycle. Are they supposed to stop in the up position? All of
>the American cars I have do a complete cycle before pausing.

Good luck!
Lorenzo Dunn