Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: It may actually run!

If you've done a lot of major work yourself on the car at least you know
its been done to a standard your happy with (or pick another hobby).
Whereas you can be in the dark when paying for a fully restored car than
could be a can of worms.

I inspected a TR6 for a friend that was for sale at £7,500. The exterior
respray was gorgeous the panel fit abysmal and the hidden bodywork
(underneath and the engine bay) appalling.

I always discount the cost of parts for a restoration against the
depreciation in value if I had a new/newish car.

On the whole classic cars don't drop in value (excepting the stupid,
highly inflated prices of the late 80's).

I say restore it yourself and maintain it yourself. You wont make money,
but you wont be throwing your money away when compared to buying a nice
shiney new car.

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided