Stag/Stag Digest Archive

RE: differential question

There is no drain facility you have to drop the diff and remove the rear
cover to drain it, don't forget a new gasket approx £1. There is a boss
on the bottom for situating a drain plug. I'm planing on installing one
there for my PI when I drop the suspension this month. You can just add
oil but the diff nose seal fails and the oil washes out the grease in
the nose-piece bearing. When the oil supply has run out the bearing
fails in an embarrassing (at low speed) or catastrophic (at high speed)
manner.

Personally I replace the diff nose-piece bearing  (quill-shaft bearing)
when doing any work here and also strengthen the nose-piece by welding
two 1"X1/8th strips of metal between the diff mounting flange and the
back tube support. This is a known weak point and Triumph used to do
this work on the rally cars. The strips of metal are parallel to the
tube and installed left and right (not top and bottom), a welder
explained this to me but I can't recall why.

The diff nose seal should be leather not rubber, as the rubber will not
take the punishment. This is not a joke, do not let a supplier fob you
off with a rubber seal. Chris Witor 01753 662905 (UK) or Cardinal 0191
478 5444 (UK) should be able to  suppy these.

Leather was the original Triumph spec for the diff nose seal and the
front hub seals.

Richard  Brake
richard.brake@domain.elided