Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Castrol ??

I rebuilt the brakes on my Stag last month, and was told the same thing.

It seems that DOT4 fluid will dissolve the natural rubber seals that were
originally used in Brit made brakes right up into the '70s. I doubt very much
that any of the seals used as replacement parts are of the same material, but
since I did not rebuild my master cylinder, I used DOT3 spec fluid. Better safe
than sorry.

On the flip side, I rebuilt everything in my TR3 except the clutch slave, put in
DOT4, and everything is still fine 6 months later.

--
George Richardson
The Wyvern - '57 TR3, TS15559L - http://www.merlingroupinc.com/tr3.htm