Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: MKI vs. MKII ???

Hi
There are many detail differences but the basic body shell and engine is the
same.
I think the main difference is that the Mk2 has a brighter higher contrast
look, and the Mk1's are softer.
Mk 1's do not have diamond cut alloy wheels, but curvy stainless steel
rostyle trims with blacksectors.
Mk1's have big lazy steering wheels.
The Mk 1 instruments have matt black bezels, not chrome enhanced like Mk 2.
The Mk 1 badges are silver with grey and not the sharp contrast of silver and
black Mk 2.
On Mk1 there are no shiny sill plates, and no side coachlines.
So for me the Mk1 is the softer looking car. Personally I prefer that. In UK
many Mk1 cars do not pay road tax so that is a kind of big plus point.

Weak Mk1 points on the practical front are

Poor Alternator set up, but you can fit Mk 2
No wiper delay, but you can buy a Unit to add which is better giving infinite
nubder of wipe delay periods.
No hazard warning switch or set up. (I think the wiring is there)
Single points on early dsitrbutor struggled to achieve enough dwell angle.
Many owners overcome this with electronic ignition.

Strong Mk 1 points

Five position light switch with parking lights and Fog position. I wired my
rear fog off this      Fog position.
Nicer looking time clock.

Then apart from the cooling system and carburation there are a great many
smaller differences which for me do not amount to much except the Parts
availability on Mk2 is better. Again  the 1 to 2 upgrade is nearly always
possible in my experience although I cannot think of an example. Certainly
Mk1 Interiors are hard to find especially the early very smooth material
where only a substitute is available. An upgrade to a Mk2 interior is going
to be GBP800 I guess, including the carpet. Some Mk1 (100% Wool) carpet
available but not the brown is the incorrect shade.

I wonder if that helped?

Peter H