Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Stag/Buick questions

Hey Don,

Regarding engine swaps into Stags in general.  Obviously, it is
preferable to not cut a hood scoop.  I had a similar conern when I was
planning my swap to a Datsun Z straight six.

Now the Datsun unit is tall, being almost verticle and overhead cam.  In
the end, I imstalled it without any bulges, but I did lower the cross
member by 1&1/2".

Anything lower would likely risk bump steer.  I had cut aluminium pads
about 4" square, in order to space the cross member away from the frame.

One of the bolt heads on the left interfered with the steering
universal.  I counter sunk that screw, and installed a high grade alan
bolt in that one hole.

I also needed to lengthen the steering rod.  15,000 miles late and it
has not failed, thank God.

With a V-engine, one also needs to look how close the exaust manifolds
are to the chassis.  One might research what manifolds are avaliable.

A Buick V-6 is potentially a good swap.  There was a 4.2l with a 4
barrel carb that produced real horses, 150hp if memory serves.

All in my humble opinion.  But I have engineered a sucessful swap.  If
anyone wants to jump down my throat, he had better have done some real
work, and not just have read a bunch of books and drank a mess of beer
with like minded fools.

Kevin Harrop