Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Cooling System

Hi again David

I see Peter Howells has mentioned your hoses.  I must say that I had made
the basic assumption that because you said the old hoses were ballooning,
that they were of the unreinforced kind which I had hoped everybody would
by now know are not recommended for the Stag (I have some lovely pictures
of these burst) and that you had fitted reinforced hoses because of this.
A full report is available on unreinforced hoses, for those who wish to
have a copy.

As you are, I too would be worried if the cooling system suddenly went from
producing what you thought was excess pressure to producing no pressure,
that is most certainly NOT correct.  The Stag operates routinely at high
pressure, which is why it uses a 20psi cap (a few MKI's have a 13psi cap if
using the early unmodified cooling system) and despite what has been said,
no pressure = problem to be investigated or a more serious problem will
overtake the engine.

IMHO - Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register