Stag/Stag Digest Archive

automatic gear box-general questions

What are the typical problems associated with an automatic gear box,
BW35, on a Stag.  When shifting into reverse or drive, I get a violent
thud. Is servicing an Auto box a do-it-yourself type of fix?
If the box dies at some point, should I consider replacing it with a
manual transmission?  The PO had problems with the auto box and had it
fixed.  I've noticed new pipes to the cooler and a new kick down cable.

While I'm at it, I've noticed a small oil leak between my LH cylinder
head and block.  I haven't lost noticeable power, and water and oil
aren't mixing. I read somewhere that the cylinder head bolts should be
re-tightened every 3K miles.  Do they loosen with time?
Could this be an indication of, what I'm dreading, a warped head?

===
Sujit Roy
786 Erie Circle,
Milpitas, CA 95035 U.S.A.