Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Keys

Hi All
I changed the lock barrel on my steering lock. It had become so worn the
internals siezed and it jammed on me.
Afetr removing the nacelle housing, I center punched and drilled a small hole
in the ends of the sheared off shear bolt. The material is quite soft, other
wise it would not shear off.
I then inserted a small stud extractor and unscrewed and they came out sweet
as a nut.
I refitted the replacement Lock barrel which I had to modify slightly, as it
was a Mkll and wouldn't easily fit the Mark I  ignition switch. Actually one
is supposed to upgrade the switch but then you lose the parking light
connection available on the Mk l Switch. So i made it fit the MkII lock. I
cant remember exactly now what had to be done, filing a piece a bit shorter
perhaps or drilling a tiny retainng screw hole. Anyway you can do it and it
works.

Overal it is not an overly difficult or long job, but do be careful refitting
those plastic nacelles, and don't overtighten the retaining screws for these,
or you can pull out the little embedded female brass thread, and split the
mounting boss for them.

It has covered 42000 miles since this repair.
It doesn't matter about key numbers as the lock comes with a new pair of
keys. You just find that the doors and petrol cap set are a different number
and have to carry two main keys.
Each time I go to an Autojumble I try my keys in the locks that are for sale,
to try and find the barrel set that matches my steering lock, or the boot
lock that matches my new glove box lock, or vice versa. Who has an brand new
FS917 key Boot lock for sale or a Mk l Steering lock with NH 2241?
One day perhaps!

Regards
Peter