Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re Keys

Andrew, Ross

I read in Practical Classics that these guys can create a key from a lock
e.g. you could send them a door lock and have new keys made.
Same should apply for the boot lock if you can get it off. It may however,
work out  cheaper to buy a complete new set of locks.
 I changed my locks last year and found them easy to fit with the exception
of the steering lock which I let these guys change after
attempting it myself.

You do need to remove the complete steering lock assembly to change the
barrel and there are a number of pins/springs to deal with.
 I managed to get it all apart but despite several hours of fiddling
couldn't get the new lock to turn smoothly on reassemble. The removal
of the steering lock needs a steady hand and patience, I found it easiest to
cut a slot across the old shear bolt then use a screwdriver.
This does involve cutting the lock casting but I had no luck with the
drilling out/screw extractor method as suggested in the manual.

I bought a new pair of shear bolts from James Paddocks.

Details are:

East London Security Centre
Tel 0181 553 9000

Regards