Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Front brakes.

Dear list,

Further to all that has been said on the subject of Front Brakes, I have
a very positive
outcome to my front brake saga.

I purchased the following from my preffered UK supplier, Paddock, in
order to perform
a full front brake rebuild:

Pads*4, discs*2, pistons*4, caliper seal kit *2, flexible hoses*2, pad
fitting kit*1

I spent a long while doing things correctly, notably the cleaning and
reconditioning
of the calliper bodies, and the cleaning of the hubs with emery paper
prior to
fitting the new discs.

Also, I paid considerable attention to the correct position of the
handed asbestos free pads
that I had received, and the correct fitment of the retaining clips.
Much copper-ease
was used on the pad backings, which appeared to seat well on the new
pistons.

Unfortunately, the brakes gave poor performance, particularly at high
speeds, and
squealed horribly as soon as they were slightly warm. Rude stares and
cringes from
pedestrians in slow traffic in town centres were commonplace.
I tried dismantling them, and putting on more copper-ease, but to no
avail.

Finally, I phoned Paddock and was advised that I could try anti-squeal
shims, which
are currently unavailable. They kindly offered to send me some shims
which I could modify to fit on a trial basis. Shortly afterwards, they
phoned me again saying that what
might be a better solution would be to fit some old stock asbestos pads,
which they
graciously sent me free of charge.They arrived, and although the
backplates were identical to those of the asbestos-free pads, there was
less pad material on them,
although the material thickness was identical.

I fitted these new asbestos pads and the result was superb. After a day
or so bedding
in, they behave beautifully, they grip far better than the asbestos-free
pads. They
are completely quiet without any anti-squeal shims, and suffer less
fade. Also their
high speed performance is excellent.

The above is based on actual results, but here's my theory for what it's
worth.
The Stag was designed in an era where asbestos pads were the norm. Using

modern asbestos-free pads will produce less than satisfactory results.

Unless you are going to go for a front brake upgrade, I would personally
recommend
trying to source asbestos pads. They are no longer made, and only
available as old
stock.

The important thing to remember, is that asbestos is extremely hazardous
in dust form.
Anyone considering fitting these items should consider the health and
legal
consequenses of doing so.

All these opinions are my own, please feel free to challenge them,

Dave Luke