Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: wiring question

In a message dated 3/25/99 3:23:07 PM Central Standard Time,
trstag@domain.elided writes:

<< The coil according to the manual is meant to be 6 volts.  Have
 >recommendations been made to make it a 12 volt unit instead?
 The coil is supposed to be 6 volts.  The system is equiped with ballast
 resistor.  When the car is cranking
 the ballast resistor is bypassed.  This supplies 12 volts to a 6 volt coil.
 The purpose of this is 2 fold:
 1) it provides a hotter spark when most needed , for starting 2) it
 compensates for a possible lower
 than normal voltage due to cranking.  If the coil were constantly run at 12
 volts it would burn out. >>

It certainly would.  I had a ballast resistor go out on my GT6 once when I was
at work.  I found a piece of wire on the ground and bypassed the ballast
resistor to get it home.  Took a long time to troubleshoot why it ran so
poorly after installing a new ballast resistor.  The case of the coil was
split lengthwise from running at 12v!  Unfortunately it was on the back side
of the coil and I didn't see it until I took the coil off the car.

Frank M.