Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: timing chain engine idle question

ben dover wrote:

> I'm going to change my timing chains. The engine doesn't rattle, but the
> PO doesn't recall having them changed in the 19 years that it was in her
> family. Firstly, is it a relatively simple job with the engine in situ?
> Would it be easier if I take to hood off?
> I'm going to order a set of timing chains soon.  Is there anything else
> that I should order at the same time such as gaskets for covers, etc.
> Is there anything to watch out for?
>
> Second question,  my Stag takes forever to comfortably idle when first
> started. The temp gauge reads half way between hot and cold within 5-10
> mins.., but I can't go anywhere until the engine speed stabilizes, else
> it stalls, when reverse or drive (auto. box) is selected.  I suspected
> to choke cable that come undone, but after fixing that, the problem
> hasn't gone away.  I'm now  suspecting the gadget on the air filter box
> which draws in hot/cold air.  Is there a simple way to check that?

Ben,

Chains aren't too bad to change but note the following points :-

Ensure engine is at TDC with the notches in the ends of the cam lined up
with the notch in the first cam bearing cap.

Remove fan, radiator and crank pulley. (You may need to remove the front
grill to give a better view !)

Always fit new hydraulic tensioners, timing cover oil seal and gaskets.

Check that there is some rubber/plastic left on the guides and replace
if necessary. (If you fit new ones the chains will need to be rechecked
for tension after they have bedded in).

Check all sprockets for signs of wear and replace as necessary (crank
sprockets get more punishment than cam ones). If you do change them,
using a straight edge check that the inner sprocket is level with the
jackshaft sprocket and add shims to the crank as necessary.

The ROM describes the process but the important thing is that the
tension is set correctly with a feeler guage (40 thou I think) behind
the head of the tensioner and using the elongated bolt holes in the
guides to adjust the tension.

The difficult bit is refitting the timing cover without damaging the
head or sump gaskets !

It sounds like your tickover on choke is too slow there is an adjustment
screw on the carbs where the choke cable attaches (1100-1200 rpm from
memory).

Good luck,

Dave.

--