Stag/Stag Digest Archive

timing chain engine idle question

I'm going to change my timing chains. The engine doesn't rattle, but the
PO doesn't recall having them changed in the 19 years that it was in her
family. Firstly, is it a relatively simple job with the engine in situ?
Would it be easier if I take to hood off?
I'm going to order a set of timing chains soon.  Is there anything else
that I should order at the same time such as gaskets for covers, etc.
Is there anything to watch out for?

Second question,  my Stag takes forever to comfortably idle when first
started. The temp gauge reads half way between hot and cold within 5-10
mins.., but I can't go anywhere until the engine speed stabilizes, else
it stalls, when reverse or drive (auto. box) is selected.  I suspected
to choke cable that come undone, but after fixing that, the problem
hasn't gone away.  I'm now  suspecting the gadget on the air filter box
which draws in hot/cold air.  Is there a simple way to check that?

===
Sujit Roy
786 Erie Circle,
Milpitas, CA 95035 U.S.A.