Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: oil coolers

Brian,

You wrote:-

> About 3 years back i bought a cooler from Rimmers
> and as far as I am concerned it was a waste of money.
> I put is on and the first thing I found was that installing
> the pipe work around the pump, filter and exhaust pipe
> was a pain and secondly the only thing it did was reduce
> my oil pressure about 7 to 10 pounds.

How do you know it didn't do anything apart from reduce your
oil pressure?  Did you have an oil temperature guage fitted?
If you did then I suspect you would have noticed the temperature
reduction, as I did. (See my last mail)  i.e. it kept the oil
temperature below 100 deg. C. in the sump.

Without a guage you might not have noticed anything until
your oil got so hot it thinned drastically and ruined all your
bearings.

I'n not trying to scare anyone here; as I said before, I haven't
seen a figure for the maximum advised oil temperature.
Before fitting the cooler my guage had read 120 deg. C
which was about three quarters of the way round the dial.

However I'm not planning on fitting one to my current Stag.
I think if oil temp. was that critical we'd have seen a lot more
ruined engines over the last 29 years.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570