Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: oil question

Ben

Now tha raises another question  How accurate is the dipstick??

Some time ago I raised the subject of dipstick levels by recalling the fact that I did a complete oil + filter change and accurately measured the amount of oil as per the manual.

having let the car run to fill the filter bowl and trhen let the car sit overnight, the result was that the oil level was about 1/2 inch higher than the dipstick mark, so I engraved a new mark and use that.

This subject generated a lot of chatter and it would appear that most dipsticks are probably not all that accurate.

I also run my cars with about 1 litre over filled bearing in mind that I do a lot of highway work and that once the engine is running most of the oil is splattered throughout the engine.

In the stag engines I believe that a lot of oil sits in the channels up near the cams, so in my humble opinion, as long as the car runs OK and it is not blowing heaps of smoke, I would not get too excited and correct the p[roblem next change.

Some years ago I heard a story of a car being serviced and the muchcanics forgot to remove the old oil and just added by measurement the near so that there was twice the oil and the car did not run all that cleverly.

may be others have a different opinion.

in the meantime keep staggering   Brian