Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Should I change from Auto G-Box to Manual?

Hi
Sorry to hear of your cooler leak. A knock with a stone I imagine, or
vibration because the correct mounting bobbins were not used (We moaned about
spurious versions of these recently) and a  pin hole is created in the brazed
or soldered u joint in the tube at the end of the cooler, and the fluid
squirts out in a thin jet. The other weakness is the unions but much more
gradual leaking there I would think.
I think it is not very common, and hopefully we will get some comment on this.
What to do.
Well I think it could be in your valve block. If you can get the oil pan off
you can examine the sludge and magnet to see what you can find. If there is no
mud (the result of material from clutches and bands accumulating) or splinters
of metal (bits of gear and bearing) then you may not need a rebuild.
The worst case could be a distorted valve block from overheating causing the
1-2 shift valve to stick, and needing much higher governer pressure to move
it. This means a new (recon ) box. The valve block overhaul will identify
this.
Maybe it is a just sticking valve due to dirt.
Also the governer may need overhaul. You can buy this from Rimmer. The
replacement is not a job for home unless you are well equipped, because you
need to support the engine and gearbox weight with a hoist jack under the
torque converter, take off the propshaft and remove the rear casing.

You also need to buy a new oil cooler, unless it was just loose unions.

There is no doubt that with a manual box with overdrive you will get 20%
better miles per gallon than with the auto.
How many miles do you do per year. In my auto that would be a £350 saving.
Unfortunately I like Automatics, and will do anything to avoid manuals  which
is one of the reasons I have a Stag.
However consider changing to manual if you like or prefer manual boxes and
save £700 fuel cost in two years,(at my usage rate). Also you get a better
response from the engine.
One more advantage of going manual is that removal of the oil cooler means you
can get at the alternator much more easily, well you could if you had a Stag
engine!.
Well I don't suppose that has helped that much but at least you have some more
information.
Good luck.
Peter H