Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Should I change from Auto G-Box to Manual?

Hi all

I have been following the conversation on BW35 which I have found
interesting. Here is my Auto Box problem.

I have a 73 Stag Auto (BW35) that requires the box to be overhauled
before the car goes back on the road this year.

At the end of last year the oil cooled pipe developed a leek while on a
long run on the motorway (some 250 miles), the net result was that most
of the oil was lost. When I slowed down to come off the motorway there
was virtually no drive. Refilling the box fixed the problem in part but
left the box reluctant to change from first to second each time the car
was first driven. Only revving the guts out of it in first would force
the gear change to second. After that it runs OK until it cools down,
then we have to do it all again, not a happy situation.

I am resolved to having to spend money, but I see a choice (opportunity)

A. Should I just have the Auto Box rebuilt?
   (estimate is 500 UK pounds, and that includes the torque converter)

OR

B. Should I convert to Manual Box with overdrive?
   (I have no idea haw much that might cost or what is involved)

I should point out that the car was converted by the previous owner to
have a Ford V6 Essex 3.1L Engine instead of the Triumph V8.

I would be interested in any comments on this, either from the
engineering point of view, or from the point of view of changing the
specification yet again and how this might affect the value of the car.

Regards

--
Mike Parry