Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: BW 35 Automatic Gearbox problem

Hi Mike
Thanks for your information.
The gear box has suffered in the way I described since it was rebuilt. I just
never could get the time off to get it back to the repairer, and was too
easily fobbed off by comments about the downshift cable being incorrectly
adusted.
The car pulls very well from standing start up hill and in 3rd sixty up to
seventy.
The over heating is just overheating. After a run there is a smell of hot ATF.
The fluid is not burnt. It is a healthy red colour and does not smell bad. So
I don't think its the rear clutch or the torque converter.
Also the feed pipes to the cooler are too hot after a run. The Fluid is simply
not flowing through the cooler circuit, and that tells me it must be the check
or relief valve that is stuck open.
I will report on my findings.
As for keeping things clean, I am almost obsessive whatever I am doing. I have
this strange idea that even a pin head sized piece of rag fluff can scratch
giant marks in metal parts.
Peter H