Stag/Stag Digest Archive

List views?

Hi all again,

Well I am still looking for a Stag.

I have found one I am considering, but of course ther are some issues:

Overall Body, interior, brakes, steering etc very good.

The engine as far as I can see does not appear to have any of the dreaded
problems eg. stretched timing chain, leaking head gaskets, oil in water,
water in oil etc.

It drove fairly well and did not get hot or overheat.

The engine has been rebuilt and has hardly been used in the last 4 or 5
years.
The owner also says the valve clearances need adjusting.

Now for the real problems:
The transmission fluid (it is auto)  was very low and leaks, as does the
power steering.
The bigger issue is the engine oil, which is leaking out very
significantly from the
back and appears as if it may be the rear main seal.  It is of course
very difficult to
really tell. without having the car on a lift etc.

Am I crazy to consider this car, I have been looking for a while.  what
are the lists views
and approximate costs for a worst case scenario.  Obviously I am taking
into account
having to spend a reasonable amount on these issues, but I can only
guesss.

Thanks for any thoughts?