Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: 327 to Stag V8 Kit?

Hello Bob,
	Sounds like you got a real chop job.  Where did you buy this Stag??  Let me
correctly understand what you are asking: From what I read, you want to go back
to the original Stag V8 engine and remove the 327?  Or do you want a "proper
conversion kit" to properly re-mount the 327 in the Stag?  I'll give it a go
with both questions:

327 to Stag V8 direction;
	If you want to remove the 327 and replace it with an original Stag V8, then you
will need to strip out the 327 and begin verifying suspension components and
engine mounts.  If the 327 used the Stag engine mounts, then the 327 sat too far
rearward, and the driveshaft was shortened.  If the engine was positioned
properly, then new motor mounts may have been welded onto the chassis rails.  As
you have observed, the front suspension was lowered.  This is because the Stag
V8 is a bit heavier than the 327, so in order to keep the front end from
floating at speed, the springs needed to be adjusted for less load carrying, but
it sounds like the Dreaded Previous Owner (DPO) got into it a little more than
their ability.  If it is a Corvette 327, then there is almost 150 pounds
difference.  To go back to original Stag Engine, you will need the Stag V8
engine, mounts, transmission, transmission crossmember and mounts, drive shaft
if the old one was shortened, most likely the shifter bezel (as the original one
usually gets chopped up for the conversion, new front springs, possibly the
radiator, alternator, power steering pump and any other parts that were chopped
out.  There is no "kit" to go back, but all the necessary parts are readily
available.
	Sounds like it is inventory time.  Start with as many pictures of original
Stags engine bays that you can find.  Try a Stag Repair Operations Manual, a
Stag Parts Catalogue, Practical Classics Triumph Stag Restoration, and pictures
from other owners.  If you wish, I can take some digitized pictures of my engine
bay and send them off via e-mail.  My engine is currently out, and I can take
some pic's of the front crossmember setup, engine bay, typical front suspension
configuration before dissassembly.

327 install kit?
	Well, I think you are out of luck there.  I am not aware of anyone who produced
"kits" to install a 327 into a Stag.  Only "kit" for an engine swap that I know
is commercially sold if from Rimmer Brothers to put a Rover 3.5 liter V8 in a
Stag.

If you require additional input, feel free to call me so we can discuss your
cars current condition and where you want to end up.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
Triumph Stag Register USA VP
303-665-6040 Colorado
*J*O*I*N**Y*O*U*R**L*O*C*A*L**T*R*I*U*M*P*H**C*L*U*B**T*O*D*A*Y*
*Member of:
*VTR, RMTC, TSC USA, TSR, SOC