Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Parts Quality

Hi
This interesting. The problem for me is that there are a number of suppliers
to us the owners and users.  I cannot just not stop using one of these
suppliers because they have supplied me a substandard part. I must keep them
all on my list of potential suppliers. Now and then I need something that is
very rare and while most of them are saying "No chance you will never get
that", one of them has cornered the market with the last stocks of OE and I
feel I have to go on bended knee to that one to get it.

Oddly though it seems that suppliers do not know when they are in a strong
position on a part and sometimes seem very glad to find a customer.

Its a funny business but in a way I hope it stays that way.

So for me it is impossible because I do not who who has genuine and who has
not.

An example would be those hardtop light switches (interupters) in the top of
the "B" post.

Who has got those in a blue box with a genuine Leyland roundel on it. I expect
someone has, and equally I expect someone has had them made up by copying the
original.

By the way I hear similar complaints from Jaguar owners about quality.

My view is that any supplier that consistently sticks rigidly to OE quality or
better will survive longer in the fullness of time but it is a slow process
weeding out the purveyors of  substandard stuff because the cars change hands
so much many times starting a massive and painful new learning curve for the
uninitiated owner.

Only the stronghearted see it through to the euphoria waiting at the end.

Peter H