Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Silicone Brake fluid

Peter

Here we go again.

Silicone ends with an 'e'.  The Silicon you refer to is powdered Silica.

A major property of Silicone fluid is that it has a very high resistance to
both heat and cold, as well as being impervious to water.  For your further
education, 'DOT5' is merely a specification for performance and does not
specify which fluid must be used.

DOT5 fluid as bought in your local DIY store is usually Ester-based with no
Silicone in at all and this may be the cause of problems which have caused
the remark to be made - it seems both you and the journalist are confused -
and of course everybody believes everything the journalists says, don't
they.

The symptoms you describe are exactly those experienced with the cheap and
nasty brake fluid that you seem to personally prefer, and which has such a
short life that it is supposed to be changed every 2 years or so, and if
you don't it corrodes steel like there is no tomorrow, and because it takes
in water like a sponge it can cause complete brake failure when the brakes
get hot.  Oh, and it makes a nasty mess of paint.

Apart from that, there's nothing wrong with it I can think of at the
moment.

You have also forgotten very many classic car people recommend, use and
respect Silicone Brake Fluid.  As again some including yourself, prefer
Ester-based fluid.

To prevent any further misinformation, I have asked the journalist
concerned to prove his assertion with facts.  I am sure I am not the only
person doing this and we will all learn more from it in due course.  I
shall let the digest know when I have a response.

There we went again.

Mike Wattam
Chairman - Triumph Stag Register