Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Silicone Brake fluid

Hello Mike

I am glad to see your reply. I was rather surprised myself to see the article
saying what it did.
I know that Frost sell Silicone Fluid and so do Automec who state it is OE for
Harley Davidson and the US military.
There is much confusion if a major national USA journal is saying one thing
(usin the e on the end) and advertisers quite another on such a vitally
important safety issue. Of course I know one can't believe what is written in
the papers, but we ought to be able to have some faith in Magazines with high
circulation and which are proud of their technical capability.

My own personal position is that I will stick with what vehicle manufacturers
recommend.  They employ very high cost comprehensive engineering departments
and, I would have thought, been the first to put Silicone Fluid in cars during
manufacture if it made after sales service cheaper and more convenient.
It may just be that silcone fluid costs too much although I doubt it. There
must be something to it.

I will be very interested to see what your correspondance with the writer of
the article produces.
That article  will be on their Web site under Car Care Saturday mechanic.,
<A HREF="http://www.popularmechanics.com/homepage2d.html">PM Zone 2D Homepage
</A>, but its not there yet as the January 99 magazine is still on sale

Keep going

Peter H