Stag/Stag Digest Archive

VEHICLE EXCISE DUTY IN THE UK

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL UK STAG OWNERS
The Government are considering changes to Vehicle Excise Duty
(Road Tax) which could mean owners of post-1972 Stags paying
considerably more, possibly SEVERAL HUNDRED POUNDS annually.

They might introduce 4 categories of vehicle, defined by engine size
and charge different amounts of Road Tax on each category.
This already happens in several European countries.  In the
Netherlands, Denmark and Ireland owners of vehicles with "very
large petrol engines" have to pay OVER SIX HUNDRED POUNDS
a year.

"Very large" could mean over 2 litres which, of course, would include
all Stags.   Only those in the current "Historic Vehicle" category would
escape this burden. As there is hardly any difference between Stags
of all years, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Now for the good news.  The Government want your views on all this.
The consultation document is on the Treasury and DVLA websites.

The URL for the DVLA site is "www.open.gov.uk/dvla/vedcon.htm"

I don't have the URL for the Treasury site to hand but as it requires
a special reader I would stick with the DVLA one.

"vedcon" just about sums it up IMHO!

They've made it nice and easy to input your views and comments as
you read through the document.  The SOC committee are aware of
this and will, I assume, be sending in their views.

However, the more reaction the Government gets, the more likely
they are to heed our views.  So, don't complain AFTER they've
introduced the new scheme, give them your views NOW.

The deadline is JANUARY 31st.  i.e. JUST TEN DAYS TIME
so don't hang about.    DO IT NOW.

John Clayton
SOC member no.1570