Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Stag and elect. ign. questions

Greetings all,

Here's my problem. I bought my Stag without hearing it run. I knew there
was a pretty bad meltdown in the wiring harness. The wiring was worked on,
but it was obvious the previous owner was unable to do anything here.

I put 12V to the fuel pump, hooked up the disconnected red wire from the
Lumenition Electronic Ignition module, and the engine fired right up.
Sounded pretty good too!

All euphoria ended after a couple of minutes, as the engine just quit.
Acted as if I turned off the key, as the tach dropped right down and the
engine spun down to a stop. It died exactly like the ignition key was
turned cut off. After a few minutes, the car starts right up, runs for
anything from 3 to 10 seconds, and the same thing happens. The engine stops
firing, the tach immediately drops, and the engine winds down and stops. I
verified the coil is getting power as the engine stops firing.

This is my first Triumph with electronic ignition. This failure mode sounds
exactly like what my Dodge truck did as it's electronic ignition was dying.
How robust is the Lumenition electronic system? How do I test it?

My other thought is the wiring harness. There are lots of melted wires, and
I have yet to sort things out. What I am thinking is there might be a
melted wire in the harness that is not totally shorted, but after a few
minutes of running, the wire heats up, and the short occurs. This elusive
short somehow kills the engine. This sounds really far fetched to me...
Comments?
 Henry Frye - thefryes@domain.elided - Connecticut, USA
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   	Driver
 TR250  CD690 L     	Soon to be Driver
 TR250  CD8096 L    	Someday Driver
 TR250  CD1074 L    	For Sale (soon!)
 Stag MkI		Gonna have to move this up the list...
 Homepage         http://members.iconn.net/thefryes/