Stag/Stag Digest Archive

Re: Signature Stag

Glenn Merrell wrote:

> Hello All,

snip

>         I was also surprised to see that there is only a single coat of primer paint
> under most of the car, with sporatic shots of undercoat in places that make
> absolutely no sence, and the wheel wells.  The undercoat was most likely done by
> the dealer, as I had done this many times in wheel wells of new Triumphs at the
> dealer.  But the single coat of primer is not what I remember, as most of the
> Triumphs that came through were painted on the underside chassis panels the same
> color as the body.  My body color is Mimosa, and there is no Mimosa paint on the
> undercarriage, just the one coat of primer, except overspray from a previous
> respray.  Many restored Stags I see have the undercarriage panels painted the
> same color as the body, which is the way I am considering finishing the
> undercarriage, after a good coat of corrosion inhibitor.

snip

Glenn,

When I stripped the underside of my Stag I didn't find any signatures
but then quite a high proportion of the underside was rusty/rotten !

I noticed that there was only red oxide primer under the patches of
underseal. Most of the floor didn't look like it had ever been
undersealed ! I grit blasted the rusty areas and then painted it with
several coats of zinc rich primer. The paint shop then coated it with
`Schultz anti-stone chip' and then the body colour. All followed by a
dose of waxoyl in the box sections.

Happy new year,

Dave.

--